Review the eligibility requirements below to determine if your company meets the J-1 Intern/Trainee program requirements.

InterExchange Career Training USA can provide visa sponsorship for one or more participants, from anywhere in the world, and is open to eligible companies who meet the U.S. Department of State regulations.

Is My Company Eligible?

Your company must meet the following requirements to be eligible:

Abide by all federal, state and local labor and occupational health and safety laws, including compensation requirements and regulations

NOTE: Programs exceeding 6 months must be paid at least the state and local minimum wage
Provide a professional training program in an office-type setting, with no more than 20% clerical or basic work. NOTE: Home-based businesses are not permitted

Training provided to interns and trainees must also be primarily in-person. Intern/Trainees may participate remotely no more than 40% of their program (e.g., two out of five days per week) if your organization has instituted partial remote policies.

There must also be at least 5 full-time, onsite employers per J-1 intern or trainee to ensure adequate training and supervision is provided.
Be in business and operational for at least six months
Have an English-language website and a company-based email addresses
Interview candidates via phone, webcam, or in person
Consent to a site visit by InterExchange (for a one-time $250 fee) prior to program approval, if required

If your company has fewer than 25 employees and less than $3 million in revenue, we’re required by the State Department to perform a site visit before approving you for the program
Agree to complete mandatory program evaluations and to notify InterExchange in case of an emergency or any changes to the training plan or supervision

Required Documents/Information

All companies must also provide the following required documents/information:

  • Proof of a workers’ compensation policy or equivalent insurance that covers J-1 participants (or proof of exemption)
  • Either a DUNS number or copy of your business registration
    • Obtain your business registration here
  • A Federal Identification Number

What Training Can I Offer?

J-1 internships and training programs are intended to provide work-based training in an eligible field, enabling candidates to enhance their skills and prepare for their future careers. These programs may NOT be used for ordinary employment purposes or to fill a labor need. Therefore, host employers must:

Provide full-time (32-45 hrs per week), professional-level training and not displace full- or part-time, temporary, or permanent American workers
Provide training that does not require any sort of license or certification or entail commission-based activities
Develop an internship or training program, as outlined in the DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan, that allows candidates to obtain skills, knowledge, and competencies through structured and guided training provided by U.S. employees who are qualified in the candidates’ fields
Ensure Interns and Trainees have sufficient exposure to U.S. culture and business practices and that your American staff is exposed to the culture and business practices of each candidate’s home country
Not attempt to extend an offer of employment or change the visa status of your Interns or Trainees, as it is required that they return home after completing the program

Is My Industry Eligible?

InterExchange is designated to sponsor programs in a wide range of fields that fall under the following categories:

  • Arts & Culture
  • Information Media and Communications
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
  • Public Administration and Law
  • The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
  • Hospitality and Tourism
  • Review our full list of approved training fields

What types of training are prohibited?

Not all employers are permitted to host Interns and Trainees through InterExchange. We cannot approve participants for sponsorship at the following locations:

  • Agricultural settings, such as farms or in wineries’ harvesting operations
  • Arcades
  • Bridal companies
  • Camps (consider our Camp USA program for camp positions)
  • Candy stores, mall kiosks, boardwalk booths, and stands
  • Convenience and grocery stores or superettes/mini-markets (consider our Work & Travel USA program for seasonal positions)
  • Call center, customer service, or phone operators, including tech and help desk support
  • Fast food or quick service restaurants or bakeries (consider our Work & Travel USA program for seasonal positions)
  • Fitness studios, gyms, pools, dance studios, personal training, or coaching
  • Garages
  • Gardens or parks
  • Gas stations or toll plazas
  • Landscaping companies
  • Pool management companies
  • Real estate agencies
  • Retail stores or locations and boutiques
  • Schools and other instructional facilities, including teaching & coaching
  • Spas, salons, or dog grooming companies
  • Staffing agencies

If you require staff at one of the locations mentioned above or would like seasonal staff to assist with tasks that are not appropriate for Career Training USA participants, our Work & Travel USA program may be able to help meet your needs.

If you are unsure whether the internship or training program you are offering falls under our list of fields, please contact Career Training USA.

In addition, we are not able to sponsor programs in which Interns or Trainees would participate in:

  • Animal care or any handling of animals
  • Child care
  • Clinical work that involves any patient care or contact
  • Dentistry
  • Elder care
  • Social work
  • Sports or physical therapy, psychological counseling
  • Teaching
  • Veterinary medicine

Explore Our Blog

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation