Insurance Information

How to Use Your Insurance

Before you leave for the U.S.

Read your insurance brochure

  • The name of your insurance company is Seven Corners, provided through Envisage Insurance Services. Your insurance provider network is called UnitedHealthcare.
  • You are insured from your arrival in the U.S. through the 30-day grace period at the end of your program. If you will be arriving more than one week early, you will need to purchase the Insurance for Early Arrival (valid for up to 30 days before program start date) for $63.
  • Be sure to understand the maximum amounts of coverage, the services/procedures that are covered, deductibles, and co-pays.

Your insurance brochure and plan details will be different depending on when you arrived in the U.S.

If you arrive January 1, 2023 or later, your group number is FSG22-220131-05TM and this is your insurance brochure.

If you arrived between February 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022, your group number is FSG22-220131-05TM and this is your insurance brochure.

If you arrived before February 1, 2022, your group number is FSG21-210101-05TM and this is your insurance brochure.

Find a general care practitioner, urgent care center or walk-in medical clinic in your U.S. host city.

  • Basic accident and sickness insurance does not cover routine annual exams or pre-existing conditions (e.g. diabetes, asthma, etc.). If you require regular care, you may pursue a more comprehensive health insurance policy on your own.

If you arrived before February of 2022, log in to your Student Zone Here.

If you arrived on or after February 1, 2022, log in to your Student Zone Here.

Using your insurance while in the U.S.

Notify InterExchange of your arrival in the U.S.

You will then receive your insurance card via email from

Print your insurance ID card

Familiarize yourself with the Online Insurance Center

If you arrived before February of 2022, log in to your Student Zone Here.

If you arrived on or after February 1, 2022, log in to your Student Zone Here.

Find a medical provider in the UnitedHealthcare network:

Log into your Student Zone (see links above)

NOTE: Interns or Trainees in the 50 states should use the UnitedHealthcare on the above link.

Intern or Trainees in Guam and Saipan should click on the link for Well Abroad.


24-Hour Assistance

Tip: You can also visit a local walk-in clinic or an urgent care center

Make an appointment

Show your ID card at the doctor's office

Pay your deductible ($50)

  • What is a deductible? This is the amount you must pay before the insurance company will start to cover the costs.

Ask the doctor's office to send your medical bills to the insurance company

  • Keep records of all receipts and paperwork from your medical visits.
  • Make copies of all receipts and claim forms before sending them to your insurance provider.

IMPORTANT: Even if the doctor sends a bill to our insurance provider, you MUST submit a claim as well in order to receive reimbursement.

Fill out a Claim Form/Proof of Loss Form

Log into your Student Zone (see links above)

Send it to

IMPORTANT! You have 90 days from the date of service to submit the Proof of Loss Form to the insurance company. If you submit it late, your claims will be denied and you will be responsible for paying your medical bills.

In Case of an Emergency

Call 911 or visit the Emergency Room (ER) at your local hospital if you experience a serious injury or life-threatening illness. Your deductible for visiting the ER when you are not admitted to the hospital is $250. However, if you are admitted and kept overnight, you will not be subject to the deductible.

  • If you are going for emergency care by yourself, try to go to an urgent care center rather than an emergency room, if possible. They can provide you high-quality emergency care but at a lower cost.
  • If you require an ambulance, you will be taken to the nearest emergency room

Please contact InterExchange about any illness or hospitalization that causes an interruption in your program (missing days) or requires regular follow-up and treatment so that we may assist you.

For a Non-Emergency Accident or Illness:

  • You must have a regular doctor whom you can see for non-emergency accidents and illnesses, like a cold or sore throat. You will need to call your doctor and schedule an appointment whenever you are feeling unwell. Do not go to the emergency room for any injury or illness that is not an emergency.

Prescription Medication

Bring any medications that you take on a regular basis with you, and ask your doctor to write a prescription if you will need a refill in the U.S. Call your airline to ask how much of the medication you can bring. You may need to bring a letter from your doctor to verify your prescription. Prescriptions for ongoing illnesses or care are not covered by your InterExchange-arranged insurance, which only covers unexpected illnesses and injuries.

If you receive prescription medication during your program for an unexpected illness or injury, pay for your prescription medication and submit a copy of your payment receipt with a completed Proof of Loss Form to to get reimbursed.

Worker’s Compensation

All host employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance in place (unless exempt). If you are injured at work, speak with your human resources department about how to file a workers’ compensation claim.

For more information, please read this overview of Worker’s Compensation Insurance Policies.

Additional Insurance

Your accident and sickness insurance will only cover your medical bills if you get sick or injured. It does not cover routine annual exams or pre-existing conditions (e.g. diabetes, asthma, etc.). If you require regular care, you may pursue a more comprehensive health insurance policy on your own.

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. during your program, your accident & sickness insurance will cover you if you get sick in any other country except for your home country.

Renter’s Insurance

If you’d like to cover your personal belongings, you will need to purchase a separate insurance policy such as renters insurance or travel insurance. Renters insurance will cover loss or damage to your personal belongings due to events such as fire, theft, vandalism, etc. Often your belongings are covered even outside of your home. For example, if your phone is lost or stolen at a restaurant, your renters insurance policy may cover the cost of replacing your phone. Renters insurance can cost as little as $15 per month, so it can be an inexpensive way of protecting your personal belongings while in the U.S. If you’d like more information, the finance blog, Nerdwallet, has a useful guide on renters insurance and how to purchase it.

For more information on how to stay healthy and safe while in the USA, please visit our Resource Center.

Making an Appointment With the Doctor Over the Phone

Hello, my name is <Your Name>.

I am calling to make an appointment with Doctor <Name of the Doctor>.

I have an American insurance plan provided by Seven Corners.

My insurance uses the UnitedHealthcare provider network and this doctor is listed as in-network. When is the next available appointment for new patients?

Important Contacts

Seven Corners

877.702.6767 (toll-free 24/7) or 317.582.2622 (Direct Dial 24/7)

Mailing Address: Attn. Claims 303 Congressional Boulevard Carmel, IN 46032


1.888.621.1202 (toll-free) or 1.917.373.0994 (emergency only after business hours)

FAQs: Insurance

What is a Co-Pay?

Although your insurance plan will pay most of your medical bill, they do require you, as the patient, to pay a small portion. This portion is called a co-pay. Under your insurance plan you will have a co-pay for every doctor’s office visit, a hospital stay, or other form of care. For every visit, you will pay the co-pay and the insurance will pay the remaining qualified expenses. If you visit an out-of-network doctor, you can expect a larger co-pay for each doctor’s office visit.

What is a Deductible?

This is the amount you must pay for medical expenses before the insurance company is obligated to pay - outside of the USA, this is also known as excess. Under your insurance policy you have a deductible for visiting the emergency room (unless you are admitted overnight, at which point the fee is waived). This means if the emergency room bill is less than your deductible, you will have to pay the entire bill; if it is more than your deductible, then you will only pay the deductible and the insurance company will pay the remaining amount of qualified expenses.

When I telephone the doctor to make an appointment and they request the name of my insurance, what do I tell them?

The plan utilizes the UnitedHealthcare Network, so when calling or talking with providers, please mention this name or show the provider a copy of your insurance ID card with the UnitedHealthcare logo on it for network recognition. Alternatively, or if any issues arise, please call Seven Corners (the company who processes your insurance claims) immediately for assistance.

Can I go to any doctor?

Yes, you are free to visit any provider you wish, but it it not advisable to see doctors outside of the provider network. The benefit of staying within the preferred provider network is that bills and invoices may be settled directly without any payment (apart from your deductibles) on your part.

What does my insurance NOT cover?

Common exclusions on your insurance plan include dental (teeth), vision (eyes), pre-existing conditions, birth control pills, long-term treatment & regular exams/check-ups. However, please visit the log into your Student Zone (see links above) for a copy of your insurance brochure that will contain a full listing of the plan exclusions.

What should I do if I am feeling suicidal?

Some, but not all, mental health expenses will be covered by your insurance plan. Mental health care can be expensive and not all doctors or clinics offer these services. If you are feeling suicidal, we suggest you contact one of the following organizations:

Should I go to a hospital emergency room?

We generally recommend that you visit a doctor’s office or urgent care clinic for treatment. You will likely have to a shorter wait time, and urgent care clinics tend to be much less expensive than hospital emergency rooms. Generally, you should ONLY visit a hospital emergency room if you are experiencing a serious injury or a life-threatening illness.

Am I or are my dependents subject to any requirements in the Affordable Care Act?

Most likely you and your dependents are not subject to ACA requirements. For more information, please read this blog post.

Does my employer provide insurance?

Your host employer may offer you health insurance as part of your compensation package. A health insurance policy may be a good addition to the coverage that you have during your program. However, you may not cancel the accident and sickness coverage purchased through InterExchange. The InterExchange-arranged policy is designed to meet the insurance requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State and will provide benefits specific to being on an international exchange program.

What if I lose my insurance confirmation card?

Please visit the Seven Corners Contact Us site to request that a new card be emailed to you.

What do I need to take with me when I go the doctor’s office?

You should take with you:

  • Insurance confirmation card with your Individual Policy Number
  • Passport (to use as Identification)
  • DS-2019 Form (just in case they need to see it)
How/where do I get my individual insurance policy number?

Your insurance ID card contains both your Group ID (this is the same for all participants under the plan) and your certificate ID, which is unique to you and is your individual insurance policy number.

Who has to file a claim form?

All Career Training USA Interns/Trainees who receive medical treatment must file a claim form.

When should I file the claim form?

As soon as possible after going to the doctor’s office and no later than 90 days after you received treatment. After 90 days, you will not be reimbursed for your medical expenses.

What does the insurance company need from me in order to process the refund?

A signed and dated claim form and either the physician’s bill or a fully itemized statement of charges (a complete list of everything the doctor’s office has charged you) with the diagnosis written on the doctor’s letterhead.

If my medical provider sent the bill directly to the insurance claims department, do I still have to fill out a claim form?

Yes, but the bill and claim form do not have to be mailed in together. As long as the medical provider sent in the bill you only have to send in your claim form. However, sending both together may help to expedite payment of your bill.

How do I find out the status of a claim?

Log into your MyPlan account, or call/email Seven Corners. If you do not have a MyPlan account, you can create one at the MyPlan Homepage. Seven Corners can be contacted at:

Phone: 877.702.6767 (24/7 toll-free) or 317.582.2622 (24/7 Direct Dial)


I received an unpaid bill from the doctor’s office I visited. What should I do?

First, call the doctor’s office to ask if they have submitted the bill to Seven Corners. If they did not receive your correct insurance information, you may give them Seven Corners’ details so that your claim can be processed. If the bill was submitted to Seven Corners but has not yet been processed, please log into your MyPlan account or contact Seven Corners in order to find out why it had not yet been paid.

I am unhappy with the results of my insurance claim. What steps can I take?

If a claim has been processed and you are not happy with the results, you can request that Seven Corners review the claim again. To do this, you can email Seven Corners to request another review. Appeals can be emailed to:

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation