Most days will begin with a group breakfast and end with evening activities and free time. With a few exceptions, your meals will be included throughout the program. We'll have a few fun surprises along the way but this is our general itinerary for the week!
Day 1 - Welcome to Costa Rica!
- Arrive in San José, meet your peers and group leaders
- Attend orientation including information about daily activities
- Welcome dinner
Day 2 - NGO visit and farmer's market
- Visit an NGO providing diverse education programs for San José residents
- Learn about the partnerships that make their work possible
- Check out a local farmer's market in San José and explore the city
Day 3 - Rainforest hike and wildlife
- Transfer to La Fortuna (3 hours)
- Try your hand at making your own tortillas, and enjoy a wholesome lunch
- Hike through the rainforest at Arenal Volcano, spotting wildlife and learning about the area
- Settle in to the hotel in La Fortuna and take a short walk around town
Day 4 - Waterfall and volunteering
- Short hike down many steps through the forest to La Fortuna Waterfall
- Chat with representatives of the organization managing the area
- Help with a conservation volunteering project
- Refresh with a waterfall swim!
Day 5 - Rainforest zipline
- Take a short hike and tractor ride through the forest to our ziplining site
- Learn how adventure activities like these are designed with local and environmental concerns in mind
- Visit a traditional village and nature sanctuary
- Zipline across the forest canopy and see what you can spot from above
Day 6 - Eco-center and wildlife spotting
- Visit a local ecological reserve supporting colorful birds, butterflies, insects, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians
- Discuss the reserve’s work in conservation, training, cultural preservation, and education
- Learn about Costa Rica’s Ecological Blue Flag program, an initiative set up to create standards and improve public health and tourism
- Enjoy the grounds and spot some incredible wildlife!
Day 7 - Sustainable farm, volunteering, and hot springs
- Tour a sustainable farm situated at the edge of the cloud forest and rainforest, two similar but unique eco zones.
- Observe diverse birds, reptiles, mammals, insects, and plants
- Learn about the farm’s off-the-grid food production, hyrdoelectricity, compost, and biodigester operations
- Have a delicious and healthy lunch
- Soothe your sore muscles by relaxing in the natural hot springs of Arenal
Day 8 - Local market and farewell dinner
- Transfer to San José
- Visit a market and enjoy some good local food
- Closing activities
- Farewell dinner
Day 9 - Breakfast and departures
- Depart from San José airport
- Optional and extra cost: transfer to Manuel Antonio for an extra week of beach time and Spanish classes! Pura Vida!
Itineraries are subject to change.