Most days will begin with a group breakfast and end with evening activities and free time. With a few exceptions, your meals will be included throughout the program. We'll have a few fun surprises along the way but this is our general itinerary for the week!
Day 1 - Welcome to Costa Rica!
- Arrive in San José, meet the group and trip leaders
- Orientation including information about daily activities
- Welcome dinner
Day 2 - NGO visit and rainforest night hike
- Visit an NGO providing diverse education programs for San José residents
- Learn about the partnerships that make their work possible
- Travel to Monteverde and embark on a rainforest night hike, our introduction to Costa Rica's vast ecological diversity
Day 3 - Workshop and rainforest hanging bridges
- Join a university workshop on Costa Rica's carbon offset program and landscape conservation
- Have lunch at a local artisan collective
- Traverse the Selvatura Hanging Bridges for a bird's eye view of the rainforest
Day 4 - Arenal Volcano and organic farm
- Get an early start and transfer to Arenal
- Hike at the base of Arenal volcano, learn about eruptions and regrowth that have impacted the landscape, and spot some wildlife
- Visit a family-run organic farm for some learning and laughs!
Day 5 - Waterfall and community association
- Start the day at the 210-acre biological reserve La Fortuna Waterfall
- Learn from the association supporting the area's conservation and other community initiatives. Time permitting, help out with some volunteering
- Visit a Centro de Acopio supported by the same community association and learn about Costa Rica's ecological Blue Flag program
Day 6 - Wildlife rescue and interactive lunch session
- Visit a local wildlife rescue, learning about their animal rehabilitation and release efforts
- Try your hand at making your own tortillas at the home of a Costa Rican family, and enjoy a wholesome lunch
- Optional activities or free time
Day 7 - Sustainable farm and hot springs
- Tour a sustainable farm run by La Fortuna residents
- Learn about the farm’s food production, compost, and biodigester operations
- Have a delicious and healthy lunch
- Soothe your sore muscles by relaxing in the natural hot springs of Arenal
Day 8 - Local market and farewell dinner
- Transfer to San José
- Visit a market and enjoy some good local food
- Closing activities
- Farewell dinner
Day 9 - Breakfast and departures
- Depart from San José airport
- Optional and extra cost: transfer to Manuel Antonio for an extra week of beach time and Spanish classes! Pura Vida!
Itineraries are subject to change.