Why VisitOz?

VisitOz has over 20 years of experience and has placed more than 15,000 participants in outback jobs and volunteer positions. They have a network of more than 20,000 employers.

Whether you have experience or not, they’ll match you with a position commensurate with your skill level and interested. Plus, they’re always available for guidance and support throughout your stay!

How long is the program?

The 88-day and 88-day + programs are a maximum of three months.

The 365-day program is a maximum of 12 months. You don’t have to stay this long, but we encourage that you stay for at least six months to get the full experience!

When can I start?


VisitOz has start dates throughout the year, which you’ll select after completing the enrollment process. Participants typically arrive on a Thursday (for programs that include four nights in Noosa) and the farm training begins the following Monday. You don’t have to stick to a specific end date and can decide on this after you arrive (purchasing a one-way flight is fine).

Can I get a job/volunteer placement before I get to Australia?

VisitOz will work with you during the farm training week to assess your skills and interests. You’ll be matched with an employer during this week. They’ll arrange transport to your first employer (you’ll be responsible for the cost).

How much will I earn in Australia?

The amount of money you earn depends on the type of job you do and your experience. The minimum wage is AUD $18.93 and most participants earn at least $500 AUD per week.

Where will I live and how much will it cost?

Most outback jobs include housing (for free or for a small rate) given the nature of the work. You may need to report early and/or the remoteness of the work may require to live on your employer’s property.

The cost of living in rural and outback Australia is usually less than in metropolitan cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne. It’s possible to save most of your earnings!

What other costs are there to consider?

What happens when I arrive in Australia?

You’ll be transported from the airport to a fun hostel in Noosa, on Australia’s Sunshine coast, to relax and connect with other participants for four nights.

After Noosa, VisitOz will pick you up and bring you to Springbrook farm in Queensland for the five-day training.

If you choose the 88-day program, you’ll head straight to Queensland for the farm training.

How does the application process work?

The online application takes 15-20 minutes to complete. You’ll provide contact information, details about your skills and experience, as well as a copy of your resume, a recent photo, and a copy of your passport.

Apply through InterExchange and you’ll receive a free pair of workboots!

What is the Australian Work and Holiday Visa?

U.S. citizens between 18 and 30 have access to a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia, which is a government permit letting you to travel and take on paid seasonal work for up to one year (with the possibility to extend up to three years). You can read more on the concept of a working holiday.

Can I leave Australia and re-enter?

Yes. The Work and Holiday Visa is a multiple-entry visa, which means you can leave the country and come back during the 12 months your visa is valid. Make sure you are aware of entry/exit requirements for any other countries you visit.

Do I have to stay in Australia for 12 months?

No. You can stay as long as 12 months (with the option for a second-year visa), but there’s no minimum stay. We recommend staying for at least six months in order to get the full experience.

Can I extend my Work and Holiday Visa?

U.S. citizens who work in northern Australia for at least 88 days in tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry or fishing can apply for a second Work and Holiday visa.

Can I take classes while on a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia?

Yes, you can study for up to four months.

Can I work for the same employer the entire time of my stay?

Under the Work and Holiday Visa, the maximum you can work for one employer is six months. Most jobs are seasonal (three-to-four months). Once one job ends, you may contact VisitOz for an additional job placement.

When can I travel around Australia?

After your job or volunteer placement ends, you can seek another position, or travel around. It’s totally up to you!

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation